Heartburn is a condition, which can happen to anyone with an improper lifestyle and through bacterial infection. It can be controlled and the symptoms can be significantly reduced by changing the lifestyle and certain food habits.
Cure heartburn by avoiding these food items
Most commonly the problem of heartburn is caused by the kind of foods that we eat. Having unhealthy and fatty foods can increase the production of acid in your stomach. It also slows down the digestion process which in turn causes heartburn. People who suffer from acid reflux or heartburn should try to find out that which food items can increase this problem so that they can avoid any such food. To make it easier for you, here is a list of some food items which can generally cause heartburn:
- Fruits: Citrus fruits, such as orange, lemon can cause the production of acid. Other than these, the juices of grapefruit and cranberry can also increase the problem of heartburn.
- Vegetables: tomato is one vegetable which is very acidic in nature. Other vegetables such as raw onion, pepper and chilies should also be avoided.
- Dairy products: Any type of dairy items, such as milk shake, sour cream, ice cream, eggs, cheese also increases the chances of heartburn.
- Meats: meats are very high in fat content and take a lot of time to digest. Try to avoid meats like beef, Buffalo wings, chicken nuggets etc.
- Greasy foods: Foods which are fried are not good for your digestive system. It is better to avoid cheeseburgers, French fries and other fast foods which are fried.
- Beverages: Excessive intake of alcohol, soda and other beverages which contain caffeine, like tea and coffee are the major causes of heartburn.
- Chocolate: consuming chocolate in any form, be it eating or drinking, is best avoided if you are suffering from heartburn.
The best way to avoid this problem is to avoid any such food which is high in sugar, fat, spices or caffeine. All these items are known causes of heartburn. Try to eat slowly and have smaller portions to avoid hampering your digestion system.
We are coming up with a series of articles in our website and a book which will explain Acid Reflux in detail.